TLC Child and Family Services, home to Journey Academy, is a leading agency in Northern California where we believe Different is Beautiful. TLC’s thriving programs offer a continuum of evidence-based treatment and relationship-focused care to youth and families. We provide comprehensive quality mental health services, foster care and adoption services, residential treatment, special education services and transitional housing. Our team is enthusiastic and dedicated to empower families, children, young adults and their support systems to cultivate resilience and authenticity by fostering healthy relationships.
We are looking for an Instructional Assistant who wants to be a part of an innovative and growing agency and school program. This person will have intimate knowledge of engaging students through rigor, relevance and relationship. They are someone who can work under pressure and with crises, with proven abilities to respond with a grounded calmness. This person is able to be inspired and invigorated by the changing needs of students and community. The Instructional Assistant is a collaborative position in our school and we are looking for someone who wants to empower the lives of youth and families in our communities.
Come join our innovative and growing team at TLC Child and Family Services where the values of excellence, diversity, collaboration, integrity and transparency are at the heart of our work and services.
Journey Academy, serves youth in our two residential programs and nonpublic high school. We work with youth who are bright and capable, but struggling to find their place in the world. These youth are spiraling inward and downward. Journey Academy provides a safe, therapeutic environment specializing in a relationship-based approach that embraces each individual’s unique strengths. Youth are given support to thrive and grow, enhance their social and emotional well-being, gain independent living skills and step into their true potential.
We are seeking an Instructional Assistant who has a passion for impacting the lives of youth through relationship, compassion and collaboration.
The Instructional Assistant is a position that requires dedication, commitment and patience working with assorted and numerous students, staff and program needs. This person will be knowledgeable of the struggles that the youth face today as well as open to learning and growing. They will be a supportive team member to a small school team of 4 teachers, 3 IAs, a school counselor, 2 Journey School clinicians, a culinary specialist and 2 office support personnel. This position will also serve as a substitute teacher when needed.
- Collaborates and communicates with the Journey Academy school and therapeutic staff to implement and maintain academic, behavioral and therapeutic services for students
- Contributes relevant feedback/information on student progress through observation, interactions and maintaining accurate records
- Collaborates with teachers to maintain an effective learning environment through student supervision, behavioral intervention, class management and student discipline.
- Maintains informational and operational records and files, including daily behavior sheets, student work and other records related to student instruction
- Advocates for and supports the short-term and long-term goals of the student
Skills and Abilities:
- Self-starter and strong time management skills
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
- Familiar with general mathematical concepts, minimally through Algebra I.
- Ability to think clearly in the moment, stay grounded during complex and challenging situations
- Solution focused with proven ability to problem-solve
- Ability to work with diverse people including staff, youth and community members
- Proficient with technology, including: Google Suite and Classroom, Microsoft Office and other educational applications.
- Willingness to grow, be vulnerable, laugh and play alongside the teams and youth
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university
- Ability to pass the CBEST and obtain a California teaching substitute permit within 6 months of being hired
- Flexibility of performing job duties within the Journey Academy residential home environment during times that in person instruction is suspended due for countywide emergency reasons
- Obtain and maintain fingerprint, government and agency required background clearances, without additional exemptions.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment physical exam, TB and drug screen.
- Valid California driver’s license with an acceptable driving record and auto insurance showing employee as an insured driver on the policy.
- COVID-19 vaccination required.
- 1.0 FTE (based on school year)
- Monday – Friday
- 2022-2023 school year: Regular school year, extended school year & professional development days
- Opportunity to work in the residential homes during school holidays and breaks
- Bilingual in Spanish (differential provided)
- Experience working in Special Education with students who have severe mental health needs that impact their education
- General knowledge of classroom procedures and equipment
- Three letters of recommendation from professionals in the field of mental health and/or education
TLC offers a generous benefit package for full time staff including:
- 100% employer paid health, dental and vision plans for the employee. Dependents would be covered at 50% of the base health plan by TLC, dental and vision would be the employee’s responsibility. Coverage is available on the 1st of the month following date of hire.
- Paid Time Off: 10 days per year based on 40 hr. work week.
- 11 paid Holidays
- Employee ability to contribute toward a 403b retirement plan. TLC offers a matching contribution with vesting schedule, beginning at the completion of 6 months service.
- Employer paid $50,000 Life Insurance policy
TLC Child and Family Services, is Nationally Accredited by the Joint Commission, a member of the National Association of Therapeutic Schools and Programs (NATSAP) and the California Alliance and has the Innovator Seal, which is the highest recognition by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC).
TLC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and strive to create a workforce that is reflective of the ethnic and cultural makeup of our community.
Please convey your interest by submitting a cover letter and your resume to email@example.com. You may be contacted for an interview pending a review of all qualified applicants.